<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, December 02, 2022

Backseat Driver? Take The Wheel. 

 



My current WIP is slow-going, thanks to self-loathing/low self-esteem/an epic case of Imposter Syndrome, but words are being put on page. Finally.


I started a new scene last night, the beginning of a chapter, and as I started writing, it dawned on me that the words in front of me weren't the ones I thought I'd write. 


It's a flashback scene. It was to be told from the PoV of the main character. I'd hashed it out the night before while I was in bed and very much not sleeping. I knew what was going to happen, what was to bed said.


But as I was typing last night, a secondary character took over. 

 


 


Suddenly, it was their PoV. Their feelings and observations. 


The story was still being told, but from a different perspective. 


And I think the character pushed their way to the front because I'd not yet gotten around to establishing their personality, or giving them enough to say. 





It's only the...4th? 5th? chapter!  I was getting to them!  But they were impatient, and took over.


The thing is, it works. It not only gives them a chance to shine, their take on the main character brings even more meaning to the story, and their relationship. 


You can plot and plan and outline all you want. Sometimes, the story has other ideas.  And you need to loosen your grip on the wheel.




Labels: , , ,





Idle Chatter: Post a Comment
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?