<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, March 21, 2020

A Few of My Favorite Things 

I thought, since it's been ages since we've talked, and as we could all use some good stuff in our lives right now, I'd share some things I've been loving.

Nothing too terribly 'new', maybe, but all excellent!

(I'm not going to link to sellers, but check out independent ones if you can. Bezos has enough of our money.)

Books

Storykiller - Kelly Thompson

This book. Oh, my gosh.  Easily one of my favorites.  I put it up there with Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series.
Where fictional characters are real, and so is the danger.  But full of fun and snark .

Alif the Unseen - G. Willow Wilson

I'm not even sure how to describe this one, but it's deep and intense, and beautiful. 

The Lois Lane trilogy - Gwenda Bond

A YA series, set when Lois moves to Metropolis.  And her investigative reporter instincts are firmly in place.
Oh, and there's this 'Smallville' guy she met online...


Moving on to comics!

Saga - Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples

Such a gorgeous series, with fascinating, complicated characters.  And Lying Cat!

Velvet - Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting

This one; oh my.  I love this book so much, even if we have to wait for the next arc!

Secrets, spies, intrigue.  Older (meaning, not 20) woman being amazing. 

Lazarus - Greg Rucka and Michael Lark

Ooh.  A little too on the nose right now, but maybe that's what we need.

A (possible) look at our future, where a few wealthy families own everything, resources are scarce, and people are are considered 'waste'. 

Bitch Planet - Kelly Sue DeConnick and Valentine De Landro

Another one that might be hard to read right now, but also one that NEEDS to be read. 
 
Men have all the power, and women have to fall in line - or be sent to Bitch Planet.  Scary how real it feels right now!


Ok, moving on.

TV

So many good shows out there now!

Wynonna Earp

If you follow me on social media, you know this show is my jam. 

It sounds wacky and impossible, but it's funny and clever, inclusive and compelling. And has the best, most uplifting fanbase I've ever encountered.

Killjoys 

Space! Adventure! Lots of ladies being awesome!  What more do you need?

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries 

I'm sure everyone's heard of it by now, but it's truly a fantastic series (loosely based on the books by Kerry Greenwood).
And you've just enough time to binge the series (3 seasons) before the movie's released!

Legends of Tomorrow

Yep, it's a superhero show, but not like any you've seen before. 

I always tell people to stick with it; the first season is a bit clunky, and it's clear they weren't sure where they were going. 

But then? They embrace the weird and wacky, and it never fails to delight. 


 Movies

 I don't get out much these days, so my movie-watching is limited.  

But!

Birds of Prey and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harly Quinn

What a riot!  So much fun.  The action was amazing, the ladies were seriously kick-ass, and I cannot wait to watch again (which I will be doing on the 24th).  

I am very much looking forward to the new Wonder Woman film, too.

Ok; that's it for now!

Let me know what you've been enjoying.  

Labels: , , , , , ,





Idle Chatter: Post a Comment
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?