<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Thin Man 



10. The Thin Man; Dashiell Hammett (201 pages)

I thought I'd grab something thin to get myself back into things, and noticed The Thin Man still sitting on my 'not yet read' shelf.

Had to do something about that.

Now, I have to say, the 1934 William Powell/Myrna Loy film is one I've watched, oh...maybe as many times as I've seen The Princess Bride, or Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark, or The Philadelphia Story. I love it that much.

But until yesterday, I'd not read the source material. Shame on me!

Although this makes exactly two Hammett books I've now read, it's becoming quite clear that I'm a fan. Or, will be.

The snappy, slang-y, dialogue, the colorful characters. And of course, hearing Dick Powell's voice whenever Nick Charles was talking...just a brilliant book.

Interesting to see how Hammett originally wrote it, and how it was changed around for the film version (although it's rather understandable; the big dinner party/murderer reveal scene is classic).

Really good stuff; I can't wait to get my hands on more of DH's work.




Idle Chatter: Post a Comment
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?