<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 06, 2004

The Power of Music


Alex is definitely my kid.

He loves listening to music (or 'mu', as he calls it). He'll point to the retro-styled CD/Tape/Record player, and ask for it. I'm more than happy to oblige...music has always been a part of my life, even when it was forbidden.

It also gives me a chance to listen to some stuff I haven't pulled out in ages. I try to select CD's at random (all the vinyl's still pretty much in boxes, and I need a new needle for this turntable). Recently, we've heard The Clarks' album, Love Gone Sour, Suspicion and Bad Debt (please note that I've added a link to their site, look over --------> there)




Tommy Dorsey and Frank Sinatra, All Time Greatest Hits Vol. 1





Yaz, Upstairs at Eric's







Today, it was the No Nukes album.



I love this album...so many artists, all coming together for a good cause...and the music is fantastic.

But the one song that always gets me...Crow on the Cradle. It might just be one of the saddest tunes I've ever heard. I cry when I listen to it (but that doesn't prevent me from popping that disc in again). Jackson and Graham's voices blending togther, and Lindley's mournful playing...well, read the lyrics for yourself:


Jackson Browne

CROW ON THE CRADLE lyrics

(from the soundtrack to No Nukes; peformed live by Jackson Browne with Graham Nash & David Lindley)

The sheep's in the meadow
The cow's in the corn
Now is the time for a child to be born
He'll laugh at the moon
And cry for the sun
And if it's a boy he'll carry a gun
Sang the crow on the cradle
And if it should be that this baby's a girl
Never you mind if her hair doesn't curl
With rings on her fingers
And bells on her toes
And a bomber above her wherever she goes
Sang the crow on the cradle
The crow on the cradle
The black and the white
Somebody's baby is born for a fight
The crow on the cradle
The white and the black
Somebody's baby is not coming back
Sang the crow on the cradle
Your mother and father will sweat and they'll slave
To build you a coffin and dig you a grave
Hush-a-bye little one, never you weep
For we've got a toy that can put you to sleep
Sang the crow on the cradle
Bring me my gun, and I'll shoot that bird dead
That's what your mother and father once said
The crow on the cradle, what can we do
Ah, this is a thing that I'll leave up to you
Sang the crow on the cradle
Sang the crow on the cradle





Idle Chatter:
Um...let me see if I remember.

You sign up with Amazon...you get the information for the link, and if someone buys the item you linked to, through you, you can earn...cents.

You should look around amazon for the info
 
Post a Comment
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?